Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
gear install Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
gear install Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
gear install Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
gear install Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
gear install Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
gear install Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
gear install Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
gear install Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
gear install Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
gear install Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

gear install

+6
KevinGT
pony74055
Leonard 95
07Shelby500
Psycho Bob
Bite Me
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

gear install Empty gear install

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 10:50 am

Anyone know a good place to get some gears installed? What kind of cost did you guys pay for a gear install (minus the gears). I am going to pick up some 4.10 FRPP gears here pretty soon. I want to go to a place that has been used before. I dont want my gears installed incorrectly.

Thanks!
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Number of posts : 89
Car Type : 01 black Cobra
First Name : Josh
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

gear install Empty Re: gear install

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 11:02 am

Bite Me wrote:Anyone know a good place to get some gears installed? What kind of cost did you guys pay for a gear install (minus the gears). I am going to pick up some 4.10 FRPP gears here pretty soon. I want to go to a place that has been used before. I dont want my gears installed incorrectly.

Thanks!

Take it to Bob Hurley Ford. Now it is usually 200.00 for install but with yours having IRS it will probably be more. I think that whole IRS would need to come out just to change the gears. Unless you have a live axle then it would not matter. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 11:27 am

We have a hook up at Bob Hurley Ford. I wouldnt just go up there and ask to get them installed....there is Master Tech that does this on the side after hours using Bob hurleys shop. His name is Benji...I think one of our members can give you his cell number...as I no longer have it.

He charged us $200 for the install, but like justin said...you have IRS which is a different animal. Might let him give you a quote. regardless its going to be cheaper than anywhere else...and done by an honest Master Tech...AT a Ford dealership.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 11:41 am

I need to get Benji's number also, if someone could PM me the number or pass it on to me when you get it Josh, that would be great. Need to get my 4.10's installed also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 12:35 pm

Thats sick. Well $200 for a SRA is really good, so my IRS should be a good price also. Thanks man thats bad *ss.

Yeah if someone could hook me up with his number that would be great. I really appreciate it.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 2:15 pm

Oh and i would seriously think about going with 4.56 gears in that beast. That is what everyone was going with due to the increased redline to 7,000 or more with a tune

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 2:37 pm

05SatinGT wrote:Oh and i would seriously think about going with 4.56 gears in that beast. That is what everyone was going with due to the increased redline to 7,000 or more with a tune

Hmmmm......yeah I didnt think about that. I am going to get a ported short runner also and that bumps up the redline a good amount. You might be right there. If I FI it though it may run out way to fast with 4.56's.......why are there so many options for cars. I hate cars.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 2:41 pm

If your going Forced induction i wouldnt go with that steep of gear. 4.56 would be insane with a blower

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 2:45 pm

Grabber07' wrote:If your going Forced induction i wouldnt go with that steep of gear. 4.56 would be insane with a blower

Fo' shizzle. I wont got FI until I get the internals upgraded, and at that point I will want to swap out my rear for a solid anyways. Hmmmm, difficult choice. 4.10's are good all around gear.....4.56 would be sweet for an N/A though.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 2:47 pm

I think you would be happy with the 4.10s even naturally aspirated....and if you ever decided to go Forced induction you will be ready to go.

But if you think your going to stay NA....4.56 might be a better choice givin your RPM range.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 2:56 pm

Yeah you and Justin are right. 4.56 N/A. I dont plan on staying N/A though, I feel to limited N/A. I want to put somewhere around 600 down and N/A just isnt going to cut it.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Psycho Bob 5/13/2009, 3:52 pm

imo your hp on the dyno is pretty insignificant. what really matters is hitting those et's and mph. i guess though there is just so many people that want to see the big hp numbers. to each their own

Psycho Bob
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1648
Car Type : 07 GT
First Name : Bob
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 4:02 pm

Psycho Bob wrote:imo your hp on the dyno is pretty insignificant. what really matters is hitting those et's and mph. i guess though there is just so many people that want to see the big hp numbers. to each their own

I totally agree. 600 with a good suspension, slicks, solid axle. That will do some damage at the track for sure.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:07 pm

With 4.10 gears you will be shifting into 4th right at the light and you dont want to do that. With 4.56 gears you shift alot sooner and will be in 4th about as long as us S197 cars. I will just say i was on the forums quite a bit when i had my 99 cobra and they all said that i will be upset with the 4.10's at the track and to go with 4.56's (dont fear the gear) was there modo. If you were to do forced Induction then 3.73's are the way to go and may 4.10's at the most but if you stay NA for a while 4.56. Just my .02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 4:22 pm

05SatinGT wrote:With 4.10 gears you will be shifting into 4th right at the light and you dont want to do that. With 4.56 gears you shift alot sooner and will be in 4th about as long as us S197 cars. I will just say i was on the forums quite a bit when i had my 99 cobra and they all said that i will be upset with the 4.10's at the track and to go with 4.56's (dont fear the gear) was there modo. If you were to do forced Induction then 3.73's are the way to go and may 4.10's at the most but if you stay NA for a while 4.56. Just my .02

I have heard that motto. I def dont want to be shifting at the light for sure. Good point. I will be NA for a good while so it may be well worth the install and gear cost to have a 4.56 for now. Da*n you, now you are making me think again. I am going to have to do some more research.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Psycho Bob 5/13/2009, 4:26 pm

plan your entire build for your car depending on what your goals are. buy parts to complete that plan w/o having to repurchase the same parts later. just my opinion.

Psycho Bob
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1648
Car Type : 07 GT
First Name : Bob
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:27 pm

Get on the SVT forum and get some opinions and see what there running. I am just telling you the advice that was given to me by about 1,000 people. Do a search on corral and other mustang forums on cobras and gears and you will probably find some things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:29 pm

Looks like Turbo or Twin Screw is in your future

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:31 pm

Psycho Bob wrote:plan your entire build for your car depending on what your goals are. buy parts to complete that plan w/o having to repurchase the same parts later. just my opinion.

Agreed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:37 pm

Grabber07' wrote:
Psycho Bob wrote:plan your entire build for your car depending on what your goals are. buy parts to complete that plan w/o having to repurchase the same parts later. just my opinion.

Agreed

I would have to agree unless your made of money and dont mind swithing the gears again. Here is a link to read. Its talking about the best bang for your buck on the sn95 cobras.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=863495&highlight=gears

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:39 pm

This thread talks about 4.30's being optimal for these cars. So again to each his own.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=906336&highlight=gears

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 4:40 pm

I agree with that. Plan right now is NA till the motor is ready for a build, build with some solid internals and FI it. At the same time drop the IRS and swap in a SRA. If I have to drop the IRS I will have to redo the gears anyways so I am thinking Justin may be on the right track for me for the next 3 or so years.

Definitely some good opinions going on here for sure.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 4:40 pm

05SatinGT wrote:This thread talks about 4.30's being optimal for these cars. So again to each his own.

[url=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=906336&highlight=gears
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=906336&highlight=gears[/quote[/url]]

What did you run in your 99?
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:45 pm

Here is another thread. This is comming from Corral because i used to be addicted to this site and that is were most of the info i am finding is.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=649084&highlight=gears

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:49 pm

[quote="Bite Me"]
05SatinGT wrote:This thread talks about 4.30's being optimal for these cars. So again to each his own.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=906336&highlight=gears[/quote]

Never had the money to do it. I checked around and no one would touch the 99 cobra do to the IRS. They said they would charge me 700.00 in labor to do it. I just could not afford it. But if i was going to do 4.30's but people were convincing me that i would be making a mistake if i did not go to 4.56's. But its your car and your money. I would at least do 4.30's though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:51 pm

But i was never going to do FI though so that makes a difference too and I never take it on long trips so 4.56's would have been fine for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:51 pm

I think he meant 1/4 mile times Lockitup

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Me 5/13/2009, 4:56 pm

[quote="05SatinGT"]
Bite Me wrote:

Never had the money to do it. I checked around and no one would touch the 99 cobra do to the IRS. They said they would charge me 700.00 in labor to do it. I just could not afford it. But if i was going to do 4.30's but people were convincing me that i would be making a mistake if i did not go to 4.56's. But its your car and your money. I would at least do 4.30's though

That is what I have heard also. If I am going to get a high price for gear install I am going to blow it off and just swap to a SRA right now. At least I wont have to bother with the cost of installing to an IRS and then swap out later down the road when I go FI.
Bite Me
Bite Me
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:57 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/13/2009, 4:58 pm

[quote="Bite Me"]
05SatinGT wrote:
Bite Me wrote:

That is what I have heard also. If I am going to get a high price for gear install I am going to blow it off and just swap to a SRA right now. At least I wont have to bother with the cost of installing to an IRS and then swap out later down the road when I go FI.

I loved my IRS. It was a corner carver. I miss it. It looked like a rice car but i loved it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next