Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

To lower or not to lower...that is the question!

5 posters

Go down

To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty To lower or not to lower...that is the question!

Post by JrSVT 4/7/2008, 11:55 am

Ok everyone,

I have a 2003 SVT Cobra (stock-ish Independant Rear Suspension [IRS])and it's sitting at the stock ride height. Some people say it looks silly with all that room between the tire and top of the fender. Others say that it looks good because it sits lower than a regular GT. I'm not sure what to do.

I do take this thing to the drag strip when I can (maybe 15-20 times per season). Would lowering springs hinder my performance at the strip? Would they possibly cause my tires to rub when the rear squats due to the lowered ride hight?

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm going to be getting 10.5" AFS replica wheels for the rear to replace my stock 9" wheels. I'll be running a 315/35/17 drag radial on them this season and next season my street tires will go on them and I'll get an E.T. Street to wrap my stock 9" wheels with. Eventually I'm going to go with a "slicks and skinnies" combo for track use only. I'm really thinking of a coilover setup in the distant future and no plans of a solid axel as of yet. Maybe when I break a halfshaft.

What would you do....lower it, or leave it the way it is? Your opinion/comments are greatly appreciated.

Mitch cheers
JrSVT
JrSVT
BMMC Junkie

Number of posts : 500
Car Type : 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra
First Name : Mitch
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty Re: To lower or not to lower...that is the question!

Post by osudoc21 4/7/2008, 12:30 pm

lower it, everything should still fit fine. some of the other guys can comment more, since i have an 2007
osudoc21
osudoc21
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 569
Car Type : 2007 Grabber Orange Coupe- soid
First Name : chris "doc"
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

To lower or not to lower...that is the question! Empty Re: To lower or not to lower...that is the question!

Post by JrSVT 4/7/2008, 1:50 pm

Yeah, I've been doing a "search" over on Modfords.com and it seems like the general consensous is to go ahead and do it. I think I need a little more time to think before I pull the trigger.
JrSVT
JrSVT
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by BMMC1 4/7/2008, 2:27 pm

i don't think lowering it will hurt it at all. There's tons a aftermarket suspension add on that you can get to help that rearend stick. I know Kurtis has a couple IRS in his shop that he has put togeth using parts from BMR.
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JrSVT 4/7/2008, 4:32 pm

I've done just about everything to the IRS that I can other than the IRS brace (not to be confused with the differential brace, got that already). It's got steeda bushings throughout, QA1 shocks, diff brace (duh)...the only thing I don't have to make it bullet proof is level 5 halfshafts. I'm thinking if I break a stock halfshaft though, I'm just going to build a solid and be done with it. Only because the level 5's are like $1500 + install.

I've read of guys running mid-low 1.6 and even upper 1.5 60' times with lowering springs but they have quite a bit more power than I do at the moment. I've still gotta get my shocks dialed in. Hell, I've only made 5 decent passes with them and I'm still looking for the sweet spot.
JrSVT
JrSVT
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by ARMORINE 4/9/2008, 5:52 pm

irs is hard to tune in for drag racing, not sure i can help you muhc but you need to know what the maximum travel will be with lowering springs and if possible find rubber spring stops(not sure what theyr really called) they sit between the springs and change the compression lenght of the springs, theyr great when your done just remove the rubber stops and your springs compresion length returns to normal. keep in mind however these do not lower yoru ride they only keep the springs from compressing fully, therefor preventing tire rub.

if you go with such a device on a lowered(any ride actually) ride keep this in mind, IF YOU SET THEM WRONG YOU WILL WILL WILL END UP IN THE WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARMORINE
ARMORINE
Paul's 2 Star Atta-Boy Award!
Paul's 2 Star Atta-Boy Award!

Number of posts : 3701
Car Type : Shelby GT
First Name : Jared
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by 1bad00gt 4/9/2008, 6:13 pm

Get coilovers with drag springs. When your on the street, drop it, on the track, raise it. I want to change out my eibachs for a set.
1bad00gt
1bad00gt
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 557
Car Type : Mustang
First Name : Jeremy
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by JrSVT 4/10/2008, 12:16 pm

Yeah, I think instead of doing something twice. I will just wait it out for the coil over setup. At my power level people with very similar setups have gotten 1.5x 60' times. I just need to dial my stuff in.
JrSVT
JrSVT
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down