Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!!

+4
03.sonicblue
Psycho Bob
Oldokie
Metric7
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!!

Post by Metric7 12/18/2008, 12:50 pm

Tomorrow I start my interior project - gutting the interior seats and trim to install FatMat RattleTrap sound deadening material, and then I'm installing an Alpine MRP-F300 amp. I'll try and post some pics as I go along.
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 2258
Car Type : Jeep. That's right, I said Jeep. Deal with it.
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty Re: How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!!

Post by Guest 12/18/2008, 1:21 pm

What are you amplifiing? your shaker 500 speakers? or are you adding to it?

Back to top Go down

How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! Empty Re: How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!!

Post by Metric7 12/18/2008, 3:02 pm

I don't have the Shaker system. I replaced my stock speakers with Pioneer three-ways that can handle 50 watts each; I think an amp would work nicely with the AVIC-F90BT and the Pioneer speakers.
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/18/2008, 3:11 pm

You didnt get the shaker 500 system? Cheap

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/18/2008, 3:37 pm

Yep. I spent my money on the best paint Ford offered in '05. :biggrin:
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/18/2008, 3:46 pm

Sonic Blue??

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/18/2008, 3:53 pm

Grabber07' wrote:Sonic Blue??

Puke Puke
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/18/2008, 4:09 pm

Nice David can't wait to see pics. Been thinking about installing some sound deadening material to ease the wife's mind about my son riding in the mustang with me. Though it is not loud at all, but would put her mind at ease.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldokie 12/18/2008, 4:19 pm

OK, you remove stock mufflers, put loud pipes on the Stang, and then add soundproofing to the cab?

Am I missing something?
Oldokie
Oldokie
2010 Challenge Winner!
2010 Challenge Winner!

Number of posts : 2282
Car Type : 2008 Shelby GT 500
First Name : Blair
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Psycho Bob 12/18/2008, 4:28 pm

hmmm how to make a mineral grey even better?????

paint it primer grey ;)

Psycho Bob
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1648
Car Type : 07 GT
First Name : Bob
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 12/18/2008, 4:42 pm

Psycho Bob wrote:hmmm how to make a mineral grey even better?????

paint it primer grey ;)

After his sonic blue comment, I think I would have to agree with you. lol!
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 5734
Car Type : 03 Mustang Cobra
First Name : Jerry
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 12/18/2008, 4:59 pm

I installed Dynamat through out the tub of my 06 Mustang and it was a marked improvement. It doesn't eliminate your exhaust it just knocks the edge off and all of the rattles that you have just adjusted to or have tuned out.

Do this test. Put on some classical music while you lay on the couch. Now let your kids play Yahtzee on a wood table while you listen. You can still hear the music but there is racket. :)
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Number of posts : 364
Car Type : Mustang GT
First Name : Kevin
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/18/2008, 5:09 pm

LOL! Maybe you should Dynamat the kids too??
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 12/18/2008, 5:29 pm

Dynamat and sound dampening material is great. I have it in my f-150 and most of my mustang. It really makes a huge difference on the rattles and and body noises. You dont realize the amount of noise vibration your car makes until you drive a car with out dynamat. You immediately hear a difference, at least I do.
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcrazy53 12/18/2008, 7:10 pm

You guys are spoiled.Go get a lincoln, rolls,cad,or park ave.Come take a ride in the 64 gto.No power steering,no air,drum brakes,window cranks,semi bright lights,and am radio.When i get out of that death trap and into the stang it's like heaven. allhail
carcrazy53
carcrazy53
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 1655
Car Type : 07 mustang gt,07 corvette convertable
First Name : Tony
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 12/18/2008, 8:30 pm

Hey if we are talking a classic GTO then that is part of the "charm", I am talking about a car still under warranty and rivals the Pontiac Vibe for interior ride quality. For me it was strictly a quality of life issue where it sounded like I had my window cracked while driving. Plus this was one of the few mods I could do myself. I can now gut the entire mustang in about 2 hours so that was cool to learn the process.

Benefits:

Door rattles gone.
Max radio is now 24 instead of 30 for my listening style.
The Whine is louder than the exhaust. (Didn't do the firewall)
On gravel don't hear the ting ting ting noise in my fender wells.
Both doors close with a thud instead of a hollow sound.
Back to using hands free phone option on Kenwood

Negatives

Added 50 pounds in weight.
Wear and tear on trim after a while.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/18/2008, 8:48 pm

KevinGT wrote:...I can now gut the entire mustang in about 2 hours so that was cool to learn the process.

Gee...I should have you come gut mine! I've already got the trunk stripped out, and I've taken out the console and rear seats enough so that won't give me any problems. I've never removed the seats or seat belts and associated trim, so I'll take my time with that. I'm going to disconnect the battery before unplugging the seats and seat belts - did you have any airbag lights or problems when you reassembled yours, Kevin?
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 12/18/2008, 10:37 pm

Right, move the front seats all the way up and remove the back bolts then I had to reconnect the battery because I could not get to the drivers side front bolts because it was electric. I lost all my Kenwood settings but that was about it. The airbags were never an issue for me.

I put down double ply under both seats and worked my way to the trunk. 13mm on the front and 15 mm on the back I believe. I also put large sheets inside the door skin which seemed to help. I took the spare tire out and did that area with what I had left. That spare tire well metal is so thin you wont believe it.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/19/2008, 10:13 pm

Phase I is complete - got the interior gutted out and actually got a little FatMat installed in the trunk. Like Kevin said, it's amazing how flimsy the sheet metal is on these cars; plus, there's absolutely no factory dampening material save for right underneath the firewall and a couple of thin sheets underneath each rear quarter window. No real problems except for the flimsy one-use-only trim fasteners in the trunk. I didn't entirely remove the carpet because it's held in place by two fasteners underneath the center stack area; didn't feel like taking the dash out to get to those two fasteners. I can easily pull the carpet back to install the FatMat throughout the passenger area, though. I can't help but see how adding this sound dampening material wouldn't make a tremendous difference in the enjoyability factor of this Mustang!

How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! IMG_0066-1How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! IMG_0064-1
How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! IMG_0062

Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 12/19/2008, 11:19 pm

Hey that is looking great and you are really moving along. I called the wife out a couple of times and made her listen to the difference as I tapped on the floor board. She didn't seem to interested but I was pretty impressed. Just make sure you roll it on firmly and you wont be disappointed.

I did alot of research and almost every person stated that the aluminum backing really cut up there hands. So I purchased some dish washing gloves and marched out to the garage. Peeled off the first piece and promptly stuck my latex glove right on the sticky side. I realized that was not going to work and only took minor cuts doing it bare handed.

FYI, I put two layers in a majority of the tub and had no issue with putting the seats back in. You wont get superb noise reduction till you hit the doors but that is not to tough. What noise were you trying to eliminate, exhaust road noise?
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/19/2008, 11:31 pm

I've not had any problems at all with the aluminum shielding on the FatMat. Only problem I had was getting too aggressive with the heat gun on one piece - heat+asphalt compound=sticky, gooey mess! Quit using the heat and had no problem installing it. Vendor sent one of those small wooden rollers; it works really well. This FatMat is 80 mils thick; that's plenty thick for my purposes and I don't want to double this up. I'm just looking to dampen the overall road noise, and be able to use my Bluetooth kit with a little less annoyance. Plus, I think it will increase the enjoyment of the sound system - especially with the new amp I'm installing. I plan on doing the doors as well, but that'll be last. I'll have to table the project for a few days - Xmas and work stuff are next in line.
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 12/19/2008, 11:43 pm

This is the Alpine Amp I bought 2 months ago but that project is also on hold.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PDX1100/Alpine-PDX-1-1000.html?tp=115

I am still crunching the design ideas since I want it stealth. Might end up fiberglassing the spare tire area but not sure.

My brain hurts from the amount of crazy ideas I have had with this audio design. I even had one design that included this...

http://www.earthtechproducts.com/p2604.html

I will be getting my concealed permit in Jan. I wanted to flush install this somewhere so I could come and go to the range. I know it is over the top but I am keeping this car forever.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 12/20/2008, 2:24 am

David, I have a laminate roller that I used that worked very well. Your welcome to it if you want to try it. Also if you need any help, fell free to shout. I am free most of this weekend and next week.
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/20/2008, 10:44 am

Wow! That's a nice amp, Kevin! That'll put out the tunes! Rock I'm still looking at where to mount mine - will probably fab up a mounting board to sit on the pass side of the trunk, flush against the side, where it will be covered by the liner - then I can mount the amp on the front side of the liner with something solid behind it. That's also a nice lockable gun safe; I've thought about one of those myself.
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/27/2008, 3:06 pm

Get those FR500s yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/27/2008, 4:05 pm

Grabber07' wrote:Get those FR500s yet?

Nope - gotta finish the sound dampening/amp project first. Pulled the headliner out yesterday, thanks to Jerry banging on my roof to demonstrate how it sounds like a tin can! Looks like a Mustang parts yard around my house...
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/27/2008, 5:30 pm

Nice Jerry Nice

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 12/28/2008, 1:52 am

Hey, what are friends for right. lol!
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 1/11/2009, 8:19 pm

Update - Got the interior put back in and the amp working; still don't have the trunk finished - had to order more Mega Mat. Decided to put it in the doors of my Ridgeline also.

How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! IMG_0071-1How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! IMG_0068-1How To Make a Mineral Grey Even Better!! IMG_0067-1
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fst06stg 1/11/2009, 10:37 pm

call me sheltered, but i hadnt seen one of these s197's stripped down that far before.
fst06stg
fst06stg
Legend Lime Member

Number of posts : 2131
Car Type : 2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT
First Name : Yancey
Registration date : 2008-11-17

http://www.legendlimeregistry.com/registry/index.cgi?id=137

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next