Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!!

4 posters

Go down

DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!!

Post by Guest 11/26/2008, 1:47 am

I have a Sony HDR-SR10 and it holds about 40gig of video and I am afraid to delete the video off the camera. My computer does not have enough space for all the video and must be deleted. The video camera came with dvd software called Sony Picture Motion Browser and can convert the AVCHD into a Mpeg2 format to be viewed on a regular dvd player without having to get a blueray player. My question is after i make a dvd can i delete the files of my computer and still recover and change anything by puting the dvd back in my computer and getting the files off of the dvd. The dvd maker it came with is crappy and at some point i would want to use a different software to change things around with something like movie maker but right now i dont have time to mess with it and just want to get it on a disk and do that later. I guess i dont understand what goes on the dvd once it is burned. Is there media files on there to beable to pull and put into a different software and burn again or do i have to make two cds(one for viewing the dvd on a dvd formated cd and one on a cdrw with the data files). Dont really know what to do. I cant afford to make a mistake because it has the birth of my baby boy and my daughters 5th birthday on it. I have never had anything this complicated. Im used to puting in a tape and when that is full all you needed to do is right on the outside of it and put it away and put a new tape in. My computer only has about 60gig and right now it is at the point that it is saying low disk space on my C: drive and i am trying to put some things on my D: drive but it only has about 20 gig left so there is no way i can store this stuff on the computer.

Please help

Back to top Go down

DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!! Empty Re: DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA HELP!!!!

Post by 03.sonicblue 11/26/2008, 2:01 am

Why dont you just go and buy an external hard drive. If you have an HD digital video camera, you should invest in a 100- 500GB hard drive.
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 5734
Car Type : 03 Mustang Cobra
First Name : Jerry
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/26/2008, 2:03 am

I thought about it but that would just fill up really quick. I really need to just put these things on a dvd and lock them away in a fireproof safe and delete them off the computer. But that is an option. There has got to be an easier way.

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 11/26/2008, 2:16 am

Man you are on thin Ice my friend. Those DVD's are easily corrupted and you still would only have one copy. Hard drive space is pretty cheap that is really the way to go. Here is my current solution:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/mediasmart-server/

It works like a charm and goes out at 2:00 AM to back up the other machines in the house. I got tired of transfering data around to different drives. You could get a 160 gig ipod to store it short term. I am not sure about this but I dont know if you can edit the image once it is finalized to a DVD so you might verify that as well.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Number of posts : 364
Car Type : Mustang GT
First Name : Kevin
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/26/2008, 2:27 am

KevinGT wrote:Man you are on thin Ice my friend. Those DVD's are easily corrupted and you still would only have one copy. Hard drive space is pretty cheap that is really the way to go. Here is my current solution:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/mediasmart-server/

It works like a charm and goes out at 2:00 AM to back up the other machines in the house. I got tired of transfering data around to different drives. You could get a 160 gig ipod to store it short term. I am not sure about this but I dont know if you can edit the image once it is finalized to a DVD so you might verify that as well.

I will look into this. Being Christmas that kind of coin is hard to come by. I should have enough space on the camera to get through the holidays so if i have to i will leave it on the camera. I just thought it would be as easy as shoot, download, burn to disc and erase. Damn new age crap.
lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 11/26/2008, 2:31 am

Trying to think of a short term solution that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I think that a stardard DVD holds 4.7 gigs so that is 9+ dvds to store right?

How about two of these ran on a USB port off the family computer.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3930502&Sku=S130-8032

You will need USB 2.0 for transfer speed no doubt.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Number of posts : 364
Car Type : Mustang GT
First Name : Kevin
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 11/26/2008, 2:48 am

1 TB, thats a 1000GB's. and cheap too.
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MrClark 11/26/2008, 11:13 am

if you burn them to a dvd... and then want to edit the video afterwords... you can always get a dvd to avi ripper... you might lose some quality but if your in a crunch it does work......... I do like the idea of getting an external hard drive.... burn your video to dvd's for viewing... then back them up on the external drive.... then erase off the camera
MrClark
MrClark
RESIDENT CLUB ARTIST
RESIDENT CLUB ARTIST

Number of posts : 1495
Car Type : 2005 jee tee
First Name : Kirby
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 11/26/2008, 11:23 am

Or how aboout an online backup service - www.carbonite.com. Unlimited storage space on their offsite servers for $4.95/month. You transfer your video files a few at a time off your camera to your PC running Carbonite; it finds and uploads new files off your PC automatically. Then you can always have room on your video camera, yet still have all your original video files available via Carbonite without having to keep them on your PC. I've been using this service for several months; it's very good. Plus, you can access your stored files from any internet-connected computer anywhere in the world.
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 2258
Car Type : Jeep. That's right, I said Jeep. Deal with it.
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by MrClark 11/26/2008, 11:29 am

what happens when the servers are down..... or they pack up and shut down completely?.....

I like the idea of it... but i'd be leary of keeping important video like that on a 3rd party storage site that could go out of business in a week......
MrClark
MrClark
RESIDENT CLUB ARTIST
RESIDENT CLUB ARTIST

Back to top Go down

Post by MrClark 11/26/2008, 11:30 am

for that matter just pay paul $5 a month.... and store them on bold moves..... Rock
MrClark
MrClark
RESIDENT CLUB ARTIST
RESIDENT CLUB ARTIST

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/26/2008, 12:00 pm

03.sonicblue wrote:1 TB, thats a 1000GB's. and cheap too.

But it does not backup. If it goes down in the same boat. The one that kevin talked about is a complete server and has automatic backup. But i can probably get 2 of the TB's and have someone write a program to link them together so it backs up to the other one just incase. Or i can buy one of them and i know there are online backups that i can pay a monthly fee and it automaticaly backs up to an online server.

I was told by my IT guy here that if i burn to a dvd that i probably would be able to get the files back off of it and put it where ever i want like movie maker.

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 11/26/2008, 2:21 pm

Externals tend to be more reliable than your internal hard drive. They do not go through the start ups as much and are only running when you access them. They should have a much longer life span than your computer.

There are multiple ways to skin this cat. I recommend an external for a backup of your computer, and a place to store your media, music, videos and such.
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/26/2008, 3:19 pm

03.sonicblue wrote:Externals tend to be more reliable than your internal hard drive. They do not go through the start ups as much and are only running when you access them. They should have a much longer life span than your computer.

There are multiple ways to skin this cat. I recommend an external for a backup of your computer, and a place to store your media, music, videos and such.

thanks jerry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down