Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money?

+3
BMMC1
shodown
BASixxer
7 posters

Go down

American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money?

Post by BASixxer 8/11/2011, 2:03 pm

So we got our final counteroffer on the house, and think we will accept. They came down another $2k on the house, but dropped the home warranty. Had us worried, but the more I am looking at the warranty (American Home Shield by Farmer's Insurance), I am not very impressed.

Basically, from what I get, you pay $400 upfront, and should anything serviceable or an appliance break in your home, they will charge you a $60 deductible and assess the situation. If it's repairable they fix it, otherwise they replace it. However, it can take up to 2 weeks for them to complete this.

The house currently has NO appliances. My thought is when we buy them, we will get a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, and an optional 2 year warranty from the store. This takes care of all that. That pretty much leaving plumbing and HVAC to deal with. The air unit looks bad, but it works. May need to be replaced eventually, but my uncle owns his own Heating/Air Conditioning business, and can get us great deals, probably a better unit than they would replace mine with.

Does anyone else have any experience with home warranties? When my parents built their home 6 years ago they got a warranty and never used it a single time in 2 years. After that was when shit started happening.

Open to any opinions. This is my first go-round with this, so I am open to ideas.
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2813
Car Type : 01 Mustang
First Name : Lee
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.pushmodperformance.com/

Back to top Go down

American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty Re: American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money?

Post by shodown 8/11/2011, 3:19 pm

I have owned 2 houses, both came with a warranty. The first house the hot water tank went out, paid 60 bucks and it was replaced. Went from a 30 year old unit to a brand new one for $60.

Just moved in to a 6 year old house and just got done getting a whole new outside a/c unit, again cost me $60 and a few hundred outside expenses. Still better than $1800-2400.

I had AHS last time and old republic this time. Old republic has gone above and beyond to help me in the last 4 weeks getting my a/c running correctly. They have hired 4 different companies to make me happy. That is their job! The problem is in the service industry. Its not the warranty companies, its the contractors they have to deal with. If i hadnt had a warranty i would be flat broke right now or living without a/c. Its just 360-400 dollars, i believe it is worth it. Anything at all goes wrong, they fix it. And i will be renewing when my 1 year warranty goes out.

I really like how old republic handled my situation, so i would gladly reccomend them over AHS.
shodown
shodown
BMMC Junkie

Number of posts : 853
Car Type : Cherokee/Lightning
First Name : Chris
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money? Empty Re: American Home Shield; Good Deal or Waste of Money?

Post by BMMC1 8/11/2011, 4:04 pm

It's a roll of the dice. However, if you don't have money to fix a major appliance or Heat and Air unit, it could save your ass. For me, I don't do them and take the chance. Never been bitten.

Ask yourself this: During this past heat wave, if your AC wen out, could you have afforded (comfortably) to pay to get it fixed correctly (Not duct taped together Lee)? If the answer is no, then get the warranty.

If it's in the area I'm thinking, it's an older house. Guessing 30ish years old. Also, since it's a foreclosure, chances are it has not been maintained very well. (If someone can't pay the mortage, they normally don't reapir broken shit). You might wanna get it...

I'm also guessing your loan will be FHA. While they have more stringent inspections than a conventional loan... the stuff just has to be in good working order. That doesn't mean it won't roll over and eat dirt the next day.

And why do you want to lower my property value by moving to BA? Stay in Owasso! :)
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by carcrazy53 8/11/2011, 4:28 pm

That's a easy ? If you buy it you will never need it and if you don't things will hit the fan the next day. thud
carcrazy53
carcrazy53
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 1655
Car Type : 07 mustang gt,07 corvette convertable
First Name : Tony
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 8/11/2011, 5:52 pm

BMMC1 wrote:It's a roll of the dice. However, if you don't have money to fix a major appliance or Heat and Air unit, it could save your ass. For me, I don't do them and take the chance. Never been bitten.

Ask yourself this: During this past heat wave, if your AC wen out, could you have afforded (comfortably) to pay to get it fixed correctly (Not duct taped together Lee)? If the answer is no, then get the warranty.

If it's in the area I'm thinking, it's an older house. Guessing 30ish years old. Also, since it's a foreclosure, chances are it has not been maintained very well. (If someone can't pay the mortage, they normally don't reapir broken shit). You might wanna get it...

I'm also guessing your loan will be FHA. While they have more stringent inspections than a conventional loan... the stuff just has to be in good working order. That doesn't mean it won't roll over and eat dirt the next day.

And why do you want to lower my property value by moving to BA? Stay in Owasso! :)

Duct tape? I don't think I even own a roll of duct tape...

House was built in 97. I would definitely like to get a warranty, was more getting an idea if anyone has used AHS as opposed to someone else. It's our choice who to go with, I was just wondering who had been used.

Lower your value? I'll raise it because I will actually PAY my mortgage unlike the people that lived here before me.

House is actually in really good shape minus a little bit of erosion on the back of the house because of a giant overgrown oak tree that killed all the grass.
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by 08STALLION 8/11/2011, 7:51 pm

I had an AHS warranty on the last house I had in Owasso, and the one before that in Louisiana. The Louisiana home I used the hell out of it. A/C went out ($2500 repair) (my deduct was $100) then a water line broke in the house ($900), then a f-ing mole at through my sprinkler system ($3500, they paid to have the WHOLE THING replaced). It payed for its self 10 fold my man.

In Owasso I bought an even better, more expensive warranty, being that the last one worked so well and all be damned if I didn't use it one time.

So, honestly if it's only 2 grand spread over 30 years what is that a month like $5-%10 bucks?!?!

Personally I'd go for it.
08STALLION
08STALLION
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1283
Car Type : 2008 black black black black black black
First Name : Jimmy & Robin
Registration date : 2009-05-09

http://[IMG]https://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss292/08stallion/

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 8/12/2011, 6:45 am

Yea, the A/C unit would be my main concern. When it went out, did they repair it or replace it? Why type of unit did they put in it's place?

My uncle owns his own Heating and A/C biz, so we get really good deals through him already.

Most of the things on the list of stuff covered I don't see us even claiming.

Dunno, will have to read in to them some more to make a decision.

Thanks for the input guys!
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 8/12/2011, 7:19 am

I had a home warranty on a house years ago. The AC took a dump and they not only replaced it with a new one but did the Furnace too because after the AC went the heat and air company inspected it and it needed replaced as well. The orig home inspection missed it. I'd say it's worth the money if you don't have 10K sitting in the bank for emergency.
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 08STALLION 8/12/2011, 1:05 pm

amentowasso wrote:Yea, the A/C unit would be my main concern. When it went out, did they repair it or replace it? Why type of unit did they put in it's place?

My uncle owns his own Heating and A/C biz, so we get really good deals through him already.

Most of the things on the list of stuff covered I don't see us even claiming.

Dunno, will have to read in to them some more to make a decision.

Thanks for the input guys!

Lee they replaced mine, and decided that the one there was actually undersized for the home. They replaced it with a Carrier unit that was the correct size for the house.

And is your uncles "really good deal" going to be $60.....or more like $800+ ??
08STALLION
08STALLION
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1283
Car Type : 2008 black black black black black black
First Name : Jimmy & Robin
Registration date : 2009-05-09

http://[IMG]https://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss292/08stallion/

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 8/12/2011, 1:11 pm

That's why I asked how extensive it was going to be. If they told out the dead unit and put in the $99 unit from Atwood's, it wouldn't be worth it.

If they actually cover replacement with brand-name products, then yea, it's worth it. Being a foreclosed home that hasn't been lived in 2 years, I think we will go ahead and get it.

Now to just figure out which one to go with.
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby10' 8/12/2011, 5:25 pm

Murphy's Law
Shelby10'
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 8/12/2011, 5:32 pm

For sure
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down