Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
Best Supercharger? Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
Best Supercharger? Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
Best Supercharger? Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
Best Supercharger? Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
Best Supercharger? Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
Best Supercharger? Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
Best Supercharger? Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
Best Supercharger? Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
Best Supercharger? Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
Best Supercharger? Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

Best Supercharger?

+3
KevinGT
BASixxer
joe0291
7 posters

Go down

Best Supercharger? Empty Best Supercharger?

Post by joe0291 3/2/2011, 9:58 pm

I have decided to pull the trigger and finally put a supercharger on my car. My problem is there are so many choices I'm not sure what the best blower would be. I haven't done a ton of stuff to the car yet, it does have 3:73 gears, Steeda lowering springs, front struts, cold air intake and BBK long tube headers. Whatever blower I end up going with I do plan on at the same time installing a Brembo Brake kit at least on the front. Probably the 4 piston with 14" rotors. Depends on what I spend on the blower, I may go with the 6 piston. But anyway... the car is not my daily driver. Obviously I do want a lot of horsepower. However the lower end is bone stock. The car has right at 60,000 miles on it. Alot of you out there probably have superchargers and I'd appreciate any advice, horror stories, things to look out for and every ones opinion of what supercharger I should buy. Thanks!
joe0291
joe0291
BMMC Newbie
BMMC Newbie

Number of posts : 13
Car Type : 2005 Mustang GT
First Name : Joe
Registration date : 2009-07-07

Back to top Go down

Best Supercharger? Empty Re: Best Supercharger?

Post by BASixxer 3/2/2011, 10:04 pm

Most of the guys here are running factory superchargers ;-)...

but when saying which is the "best," we have to know what type of driving you want to do with it. Are you autocrossing? Drag Racing? Tearing up the streets?

Each different driving style has a different supercharger that works for it, and I am sure that Jarrod will chime in soon (if not while I am typing this) and gives some insight.

6-piston brakes? Planning for some 1000hp goals? lol
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2813
Car Type : 01 Mustang
First Name : Lee
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.pushmodperformance.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by joe0291 3/2/2011, 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. As far as what type of driving, mostly just on the street. Do very little drag racing. But I do want to so some autocrossing in the future.
Ok, maybe the 6 pistons would be over-kill. lol
joe0291
joe0291
BMMC Newbie
BMMC Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 3/2/2011, 10:12 pm

I have a whipple and have really enjoyed it. I will let others cover the different design styles as I am not an expert. I will give you what I wish I would have done differently. I bought a polished unit and have regretted ever since. After a year of use it just looks like crap and doesnt clean up well. Should have went with the solid black finish and left the bling alone. The 2nd mistake which isnt that bad but I should have left my gears alone. 4.10 gears takes up my RPM to much and should have left it alone.

My stock breaks have performed fine with 450HP to the wheel but if you can afford it go for it.

The most important decision you will make is not the style of supercharger as almost all are great fun who should do the install and tune. OKC sucks for tuners as they are either soon out of business, running from the law or full of shit. Good luck and have fun.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Number of posts : 364
Car Type : Mustang GT
First Name : Kevin
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 3/2/2011, 10:13 pm

Most people would never need more than an 03 cobra size caliper. With new rotors and ceramic brakes, your gt brakes would probably be fine...
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by joe0291 3/2/2011, 10:30 pm

Thanks Kevin. I'm glad you mentioned that about not bothering with the polished because that's probably exactly what I would have done.

The brake upgrade is more for the track, I really want to get into doing some autocross. I've been scared to take the car to Hallet with stock brakes, they just seem a little week to me. I could just be paranoid too.

I've had good luck in the past dealing with CarFX in Tulsa. They seem honest and seem to know what they are doing. It's been about a year since I've done business with them as far as I know they are still there.

thanks again for the advise!
joe0291
joe0291
BMMC Newbie
BMMC Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 3/2/2011, 10:41 pm

Well. First off let me say congrats on getting blown. Now to the meat of it. There are so many factors that come into play on a question like this it's hard to say which ones the best. The question is whis ones best for your application. Questions like what am I looking to achieve from the SC? Total drag car? Road course? All around performer? Low end power? Top end? All power band increase? Do you want to up the boost later to crazy levels maybe after a lower end build? Or is it safe to say you'll be happy to keep the stock bottom end alive with a safe power increase?

Give us a little insight to your plans fir your car. I bet we can narrow the field a little.
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 3/2/2011, 10:47 pm

And DO NOT GO TO CARFX... buy through me and install on a tech day. No need to pay carfx rapist prices...
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by joe0291 3/2/2011, 10:54 pm

I really don't want to tear into the lower end right now. A safe power increase is what I'm looking for. Right now just having fun on the street. I do want to get into doing some autocross in the future but to be honest I don't see myself doing that every weekend so yes, for the most part just a good all around performer for the street. The car isn't my daily driver, I usually just get it out on the weekends when the weather is nice.
joe0291
joe0291
BMMC Newbie
BMMC Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 3/2/2011, 10:57 pm

Then your options are pretty open. Any supercharger kit in a box will work with your bottom end, and come with conservative tunes to give you a base until you can get tuned professionally.

Whats your budget for this build?
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 3/2/2011, 10:59 pm

Well I'd say whipple or KB are both good choices and have adjustability sonyou could upgrade in the future if you strengthen the lower end.
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 3/2/2011, 11:03 pm

If you cant tell, we like roots and twin screw superchargers around here...
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by joe0291 3/2/2011, 11:17 pm

I could spend more than 10k, but I don't want to spend that much unless I have to. I'm thinking that should be enough.

The whipple does seem to be popular. I have heard of the Kenne Bell's but I don't know much about them. I do like the idea of being able to upgrade for more boost.
joe0291
joe0291
BMMC Newbie
BMMC Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by joe0291 3/2/2011, 11:22 pm

Do you guys think 500 hp too much for a stock lower end? I've heard some people say it's fine, the stock lower end would handle a little over 500 hp and others say not so much.
joe0291
joe0291
BMMC Newbie
BMMC Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 3/2/2011, 11:35 pm

With a good safe tune 450-500 at the tire is doable with the stock 3V bottom end.
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joe0291 3/2/2011, 11:42 pm

Ok, good to know. Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
joe0291
joe0291
BMMC Newbie
BMMC Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/2/2011, 11:49 pm

Have you looked into the Roush or Saleen systems? Doesnt brenspeed offer some "supershaker"?

Sorry, dont know much about them, but Kenne Bell and whipple seem to be great in mustangs and Lightnings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby10' 3/3/2011, 12:56 am

Joe congrats on getting blown.....I think others have hit the key points.

Both whipple and Kenne Bell are twin screws, are very efficient and will push way more HP than you need.

The Whipple kit will be the most complete as it comes with dual GT500 fuel pumps while the Kenne Bell has the boost-a-pump.

Whipple:

Best Supercharger? M6066m463v7_5667

Best Supercharger? Shelby-sr-engine

Kenne Bell is also a great supercharger. Gets its air from the front bumper so the air charge is denser. The Kenne Bell kit comes in 2.6l, 2.8l, and higher displacement compared to Whipples 2.3. But again the Whipple does have the better fuel system from the manufacturer.

I think between the two it also comes down to looks.....When you pop the hood which one do you think looks better because both are excellent.

Kenne Bell:

Best Supercharger? 1

Best Supercharger? 0808phr_01_z%2B2005_2007_ford_mustang_gt%2Bkenne_bell_supercharger

Saleen is also another twin screw that is a great option. It also comes with the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Bump and I believe it is 2.3L like the Whipple

Best Supercharger? Saleen_blower

Best Supercharger? 2005_08_saleen_supercharger_kit

Customer Service note: Whipple hands down has the best customer service...Kenne Bell is left to be desired.

There is also the Centrifugal blower option. Boost kicks in in the mid to upper RPM range and builds. I really dont like them all too well as I prefer the Roots and Twin screw BIG BLOCK feel.

You really cant go wrong with either of these choices...but if it where me I would be deciding between the Whipple and Kenne Bell....and both would be neck and neck performance wise. Tough choice.

Good luck!
Shelby10'
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Psycho Bob 3/3/2011, 3:14 pm

from what you've said i would also go with a roots/twin screw style sc'er. they will be the most fun on the street and will work great for a monthly trip to the 1/4 or autocross. my opinions are just that, my opinions. in this order for a twin screw or roots style:

Kenne Bell 2.8mammoth: this will let you grow alot down the road when you WILL BE READY to upgrade.

Kenne Bell 2.6H: a step up from the 2.6L

Whipple/FRPP

Edelbrock/Roush TVS (roots- both use eaton rotors): there are visual differences between these, but other than that the biggest difference is the edlebrock uses their own throttle body. the roush uses the stock TB or any aftermarket option.

Saleen would by my last option (again just my opinion), but in no way is a bad sc'er.

the one i would personally absolutely avoid is the magnusion(spelling).

with any of these i would highly recommend using twin gt500 fuel pumps. one note about the 2.8mammoth is with the stock short block you will have to get an oversized crank balancer to lower the boost even more than the largest sc'er pulley. that and you'll need it tuned very well to keep the hp levels to the sc'ers minimum.

on other forums there are a couple people that are on the stock shortblock & in the 520rwhp levels for a couple years with no issues

Psycho Bob
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1648
Car Type : 07 GT
First Name : Bob
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 3/3/2011, 5:18 pm

Psycho Bob wrote:from what you've said i would also go with a roots/twin screw style sc'er. they will be the most fun on the street and will work great for a monthly trip to the 1/4 or autocross. my opinions are just that, my opinions. in this order for a twin screw or roots style:

Kenne Bell 2.8mammoth: this will let you grow alot down the road when you WILL BE READY to upgrade.

Kenne Bell 2.6H: a step up from the 2.6L

Whipple/FRPP

Edelbrock/Roush TVS (roots- both use eaton rotors): there are visual differences between these, but other than that the biggest difference is the edlebrock uses their own throttle body. the roush uses the stock TB or any aftermarket option.

Saleen would by my last option (again just my opinion), but in no way is a bad sc'er.

the one i would personally absolutely avoid is the magnusion(spelling).

with any of these i would highly recommend using twin gt500 fuel pumps. one note about the 2.8mammoth is with the stock short block you will have to get an oversized crank balancer to lower the boost even more than the largest sc'er pulley. that and you'll need it tuned very well to keep the hp levels to the sc'ers minimum.

on other forums there are a couple people that are on the stock shortblock & in the 520rwhp levels for a couple years with no issues

Wouldn't you want an undersized crank pulley? So that it reduces the drive on the supercharger pulley, making it turn slower....
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Psycho Bob 3/3/2011, 5:42 pm

amentowasso wrote:Wouldn't you want an undersized crank pulley? So that it reduces the drive on the supercharger pulley, making it turn slower....

if that is correct then i stand corrected. knew it was one or the other, but couldn't remember which. thanks for the help

Psycho Bob
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1648
Car Type : 07 GT
First Name : Bob
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 3/3/2011, 8:23 pm

Smaller crank pulley would turn the blower faster. Bigger crank pulley larger o.d. will result in the blower pulley turning slower.
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/4/2011, 2:19 pm

I have the Kenne Bell and have had since 07 with no problems. The kit is complete the boosta pump works great to a certain hp level. The Whimple is great also and I might lean that way if I had it to do over. Full drag car I would do turbo and forget the SC.

A bigger crank pulley (overdrive) will increase boost where as a smaller crank pulley will lower boost (underdrive)

Back to top Go down

Post by carcrazy53 3/4/2011, 3:43 pm

I have the saleen,installed and tuned by breenspeed.I am very happy with install and customer service.What i don't like is the fact it has no sight glass for checking the charger oil level and the alt.has to come off to change the belt.
carcrazy53
carcrazy53
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 1655
Car Type : 07 mustang gt,07 corvette convertable
First Name : Tony
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby10' 3/4/2011, 6:54 pm

Isnt the new Kenne Bell liquid cooled too? Supposedly more efficient.
Shelby10'
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 3/4/2011, 8:03 pm

KBCal wrote:I have the Kenne Bell and have had since 07 with no problems. The kit is complete the boosta pump works great to a certain hp level. The Whimple is great also and I might lean that way if I had it to do over. Full drag car I would do turbo and forget the SC.

A bigger crank pulley (overdrive) will increase boost where as a smaller crank pulley will lower boost (underdrive)

Thank you Greg.... lol
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down