Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

Winter storage carpentry help needed

+7
BMMC1
Mark8Murder
BASixxer
07Shelby500
shodown
Papi
OSUALUM78
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty Re: Winter storage carpentry help needed

Post by OSUALUM78 12/7/2011, 4:40 pm

Not off at all. I had already thought about that. The problem with fiberglass is that it's messy, probably more costly than using lumber, will take more time to make, a higher chance for lack of uniformity, and I am unsure that a fiberglass version the the "Flatstoppers" could withstand the mass of the car per corner.
OSUALUM78
OSUALUM78
BMMC Junkie

Number of posts : 565
Car Type : 2003 Mustang Cobra
First Name : now featuring a hEaton
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Winter storage carpentry help needed - Page 2 Empty Re: Winter storage carpentry help needed

Post by BASixxer 12/7/2011, 4:46 pm

yea that's my thinking. Although fiberglass isn't really that expensive considering the amount that we would use. The goal would be to keep it hollow while keeping it sturdy.
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2813
Car Type : 01 Mustang
First Name : Lee
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.pushmodperformance.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lehcar 12/7/2011, 4:53 pm

You could just use a skilsaw, cut one side, flip it over and cut the other side

Last edited by lehcar on 12/7/2011, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

lehcar
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Number of posts : 167
Car Type : Mustang GT
First Name : Rachel
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/7/2011, 5:15 pm

then you end up with a V. We want an Arc.
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by lehcar 12/7/2011, 5:18 pm

You can cut an arc with a skilsaw.

lehcar
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Number of posts : 167
Car Type : Mustang GT
First Name : Rachel
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/7/2011, 5:28 pm

you know SKIL is the brand right? LOL
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/7/2011, 5:29 pm

I could see maybe doing it with a router... But last time I borrowed one from my friend he didn't get it back for 6 months... and I still have the ramps I borrowed from him 3 months ago so... yea...
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/7/2011, 5:37 pm

but even then you aren't going to find a 13" long bit, and after about 2" you risk breaking the bit going through the wood.
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 12/7/2011, 5:40 pm

jig saw is what you are looking for. As long as the wood is not too thick (3/4 inch or less), a jig saw would work just fine to get your curves cut. If you are cutting something thicker, a recip would work, however you would have less control of the cut.
03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 5734
Car Type : 03 Mustang Cobra
First Name : Jerry
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/7/2011, 5:43 pm

if we did it with a solid block of would it would have to be 3-4" thick and 13" wide to clear a tire.

I'm still leaning toward fiberglass. I have all the tools to work it at my parent's. Might still have some resin but after 3 years it's probably junk.
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by BMMC1 12/7/2011, 6:29 pm

I do love a good Lee project! Pics please!
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by shodown 12/7/2011, 7:54 pm

Why the hell am I being singled out and ripped on here?

Its not what you are doing or why you dont care about our opinions. Its the way you are coming off to me. You are basically attacking me on here and i again never said anythingthat you wanted to do was stupid. And i sure as hell havent tried to beat around the bush. If you simply said i have my reasons, shit, i would have stopped. Instead you had to find a way to try and belittle me and make me out to be a bad person. Sorry i dont have any tools, i dont have any woodworking knowledge either. It seems to me that you like to express yourself and give your opinion on things when not asked, yet if someone else does the same, you attack them and basically say i dont give a fuck about you or your opinion. I will stop with one last thing, if you thought i was making fun of you, i apologize. I have gotten to know you better here and there and its hard not to take how i see you jab at people and not expect you to in return take it. So again, i apologize for giving useless advice when not asked. From now on, unless i specifically have what you need or want, i wont say a damn thing.

Fu*+ing rant over, hope you build something that works for you. Insert some happy, lets all get drunk smily guy here
shodown
shodown
BMMC Junkie

Number of posts : 853
Car Type : Cherokee/Lightning
First Name : Chris
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 03.sonicblue 12/7/2011, 8:06 pm

Ive figured out a simple way to build this. This is relatively cheap and will work like a charm.

You get a sheet of 3/4 plywood. you design a template to the profile of the ramp pictured in the first post to the dimensions needed for your tire. Use the template to cut multiple pieces the same size out of the sheet of plywood. You would then use carpenters glue or also subfloor adhesive would work. glue two pieces together, then three, then four. Keep doing that until you get the desired width needed for your tire. Find a large clamp, and clamp all the pieces together and let it set over night. The next day, trim off the excess glue, sand smooth, paint and your done. total project would take about three or four hours. You would need a sheet of plywood, tube of glue, caulking gun, clamps, jig saw, sand paper and paint.

03.sonicblue
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 5734
Car Type : 03 Mustang Cobra
First Name : Jerry
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by shodown 12/7/2011, 8:34 pm

Here is my contribution. Call Jared, he has a nice heated garage. Second get the brain of his to build what Jerry mentioned. I saw where Jared had done a similar thing to use as a template for a ram air scoop or something. Now I cant guarantee he has the tools to do it though, it seems everytime I go over there he has less and less tools oops
shodown
shodown
BMMC Junkie

Number of posts : 853
Car Type : Cherokee/Lightning
First Name : Chris
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Psycho Bob 12/8/2011, 1:16 am

said it before. just need some 2x4's or 2x6's. use a jig saw to cut the shape you want and then bolt them all together. easy and would be finished in a couple hours. i'm not sure why you think all these special tools are needed.

Psycho Bob
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1648
Car Type : 07 GT
First Name : Bob
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/8/2011, 9:39 am

Well I have a jigsaw... get at it!
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark8Murder 12/8/2011, 11:25 am

shodown wrote:Why the hell am I being singled out and ripped on here?

Its not what you are doing or why you dont care about our opinions. Its the way you are coming off to me. You are basically attacking me on here and i again never said anythingthat you wanted to do was stupid. And i sure as hell havent tried to beat around the bush. If you simply said i have my reasons, shit, i would have stopped. Instead you had to find a way to try and belittle me and make me out to be a bad person. Sorry i dont have any tools, i dont have any woodworking knowledge either. It seems to me that you like to express yourself and give your opinion on things when not asked, yet if someone else does the same, you attack them and basically say i dont give a fuck about you or your opinion. I will stop with one last thing, if you thought i was making fun of you, i apologize. I have gotten to know you better here and there and its hard not to take how i see you jab at people and not expect you to in return take it. So again, i apologize for giving useless advice when not asked. From now on, unless i specifically have what you need or want, i wont say a damn thing.

Fu*+ing rant over, hope you build something that works for you. Insert some happy, lets all get drunk smily guy here
I love this guy lol, no homo

Secondly, I am interested in the ramps as well and I was being serious about not having wood tools and supplying adult beverages.....however I did lie about having Fern Gully on DVD....I really don't and for that I'm sorry.

So let's get together and build some damn ramps!!!!!
Mark8Murder
Mark8Murder
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Number of posts : 355
Car Type : 1998 Mark VIII LSC
First Name : Nolan
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/8/2011, 11:34 am

damn it Nolan! You need to buy it I was looking forward to it at the next tech day...
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 12/8/2011, 11:34 am

buy me some wood I'll build them tonight...
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark8Murder 12/8/2011, 12:54 pm

BASixxer wrote:buy me some wood I'll build them tonight...
that just don't sound right... Kinky
Mark8Murder
Mark8Murder
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Number of posts : 355
Car Type : 1998 Mark VIII LSC
First Name : Nolan
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 12/8/2011, 12:56 pm

I've got the solution for this - had my '05 parked on the metal runners of my KwikLift for almost six years; sometimes it wasn't driven for weeks at a time - still had the original tires on it with a little over 15K miles on them when I sold it; never had to replace any of them due to flat spots! So buy my KwikLift for $1K; no more flat spots!!
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 2258
Car Type : Jeep. That's right, I said Jeep. Deal with it.
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BMMC1 12/8/2011, 2:08 pm

I do enjoy a good shameless plug!
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Psycho Bob 12/8/2011, 2:17 pm

^ tempting. could you pm me some info about this

Psycho Bob
BMMC Post Pig
BMMC Post Pig

Number of posts : 1648
Car Type : 07 GT
First Name : Bob
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2