Log in

I forgot my password

Poll
December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/2/2011, 10:37 pm

Alright David....thought we could come together to figure this issue out. Please post in detail the events leading up to last nights results at the drag strip. Maybe we can put our heads together and come up with some ideas on what the issue is.

Clogged cats was one possibility....and I found this quote on another forum for those that dont think you can melt/clog the factory exhaust.

"I had my 08 GT500 blow the cats...I had recently upgraded the blower pulley and all that goes with it...was launching down a freeway on ramp at WOT when it looked like a chalk bag had just exploded behind the car...turned out it was ceramic particals and dust...pulled the cats off and they were falling apart...I bought the car with 558 miles on it and the guy mostly just idled around...I am sure it was running rich and burned the cats..."

Clogged cats would allow the RPMs to rise, but feel like the car isnt really going as fast as its supposed to.

One possibility anyways

_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Leonard 95 on 4/2/2011, 10:39 pm

Send me that datalog file if you got it, want to look at it.
avatar
Leonard 95
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2892
Age : 42
Location : Bixby
Car Type : 08 GT500
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by 07Shelby500 on 4/2/2011, 10:55 pm

Well, ok.

1. Took the car to the drags before any mods to get a baseline. Result with DR's was a 12.8@110

2. Added 2.59" pulley, 08 style Balancer, 90mm idler, C&L CAI and tunes from Justin at VMP. Took the car back to the track after the mods and on the same DR's went a crappy 12.9 & high 13 at 108 ish. Clearly something was off with the car.

3. Thought I may have accidentally loaded my 91e10 ethanol tune and retuned the car. It seemed to be running better? So back to the track I go Friday night. One pass which netted only a 13.2@109.8 clearly something still off. Not worried about the ET but the mph being indicative of my HP numbers which should be around 520-540 RWHP with my mods. The trap speed is more like that of a car producing about 300RWHP.

So now after data logging the car I will send the results to Justin for a look. However, if it was a detrimental tune issue Im pretty sure I'd be throwing codes. I have not thrown one code. This leads me to believe something else is to blame. I thought clutch? But the clutch is not slipping. The blower belt isn't slipping. My voltage is strong both at idle and under acceleration. So now I'm really just running out of possibilities. The cats being clogged is a possibility? I'll know after tomorrow. The car only has 7500 miles so it's not that. I just changed the plugs to the TR6's and the stock plugs looked good. No excessive meltdown, discoloration, etc.

So. Let's hear it. Anyone got any viable ideas?


_________________
'07 Shelby GT500

avatar
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Age : 42
Location : Owasso Oklahoma
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/2/2011, 10:57 pm

Leonard 95 wrote:Send me that datalog file if you got it, want to look at it.

Whats your email address? I will send you:

1) Idle to 6k (neutral rev)
2) 3rd gear pulls (there are 2 of them)

_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by 07Shelby500 on 4/2/2011, 11:04 pm

Double post ftl!

_________________
'07 Shelby GT500

avatar
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Age : 42
Location : Owasso Oklahoma
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/2/2011, 11:11 pm

07Shelby500 wrote:Double post ftl!

What double post? Moon

_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by 07Shelby500 on 4/2/2011, 11:28 pm

Yeah. Mr. I deleted my double post.

_________________
'07 Shelby GT500

avatar
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Age : 42
Location : Owasso Oklahoma
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Supersnake on 4/2/2011, 11:35 pm

07Shelby500 wrote:Well, ok.

1. Took the car to the drags before any mods to get a baseline. Result with DR's was a 12.8@110

2. Added 2.59" pulley, 08 style Balancer, 90mm idler, C&L CAI and tunes from Justin at VMP. Took the car back to the track after the mods and on the same DR's went a crappy 12.9 & high 13 at 108 ish. Clearly something was off with the car.

3. Thought I may have accidentally loaded my 91e10 ethanol tune and retuned the car. It seemed to be running better? So back to the track I go Friday night. One pass which netted only a 13.2@109.8 clearly something still off. Not worried about the ET but the mph being indicative of my HP numbers which should be around 520-540 RWHP with my mods. The trap speed is more like that of a car producing about 300RWHP.

So now after data logging the car I will send the results to Justin for a look. However, if it was a detrimental tune issue Im pretty sure I'd be throwing codes. I have not thrown one code. This leads me to believe something else is to blame. I thought clutch? But the clutch is not slipping. The blower belt isn't slipping. My voltage is strong both at idle and under acceleration. So now I'm really just running out of possibilities. The cats being clogged is a possibility? I'll know after tomorrow. The car only has 7500 miles so it's not that. I just changed the plugs to the TR6's and the stock plugs looked good. No excessive meltdown, discoloration, etc.

So. Let's hear it. Anyone got any viable ideas?




whats happening with the cats tommorow???
avatar
Supersnake
2011 Challenge Winner!
2011 Challenge Winner!

Number of posts : 389
Age : 58
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2008 Shelby GT 500 Super Snake
First Name : Mike
Registration date : 2010-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/2/2011, 11:43 pm

Supersnake wrote:
07Shelby500 wrote:Well, ok.

1. Took the car to the drags before any mods to get a baseline. Result with DR's was a 12.8@110

2. Added 2.59" pulley, 08 style Balancer, 90mm idler, C&L CAI and tunes from Justin at VMP. Took the car back to the track after the mods and on the same DR's went a crappy 12.9 & high 13 at 108 ish. Clearly something was off with the car.

3. Thought I may have accidentally loaded my 91e10 ethanol tune and retuned the car. It seemed to be running better? So back to the track I go Friday night. One pass which netted only a 13.2@109.8 clearly something still off. Not worried about the ET but the mph being indicative of my HP numbers which should be around 520-540 RWHP with my mods. The trap speed is more like that of a car producing about 300RWHP.

So now after data logging the car I will send the results to Justin for a look. However, if it was a detrimental tune issue Im pretty sure I'd be throwing codes. I have not thrown one code. This leads me to believe something else is to blame. I thought clutch? But the clutch is not slipping. The blower belt isn't slipping. My voltage is strong both at idle and under acceleration. So now I'm really just running out of possibilities. The cats being clogged is a possibility? I'll know after tomorrow. The car only has 7500 miles so it's not that. I just changed the plugs to the TR6's and the stock plugs looked good. No excessive meltdown, discoloration, etc.

So. Let's hear it. Anyone got any viable ideas?




whats happening with the cats tommorow???


David just so happens to know someone with a factory midpipe he can borrow for testing.

Dont know who this angelic like person could be to help with such a noble cause....

allhail

_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Supersnake on 4/2/2011, 11:58 pm

Shelby10' wrote:
Supersnake wrote:
07Shelby500 wrote:Well, ok.

1. Took the car to the drags before any mods to get a baseline. Result with DR's was a 12.8@110

2. Added 2.59" pulley, 08 style Balancer, 90mm idler, C&L CAI and tunes from Justin at VMP. Took the car back to the track after the mods and on the same DR's went a crappy 12.9 & high 13 at 108 ish. Clearly something was off with the car.

3. Thought I may have accidentally loaded my 91e10 ethanol tune and retuned the car. It seemed to be running better? So back to the track I go Friday night. One pass which netted only a 13.2@109.8 clearly something still off. Not worried about the ET but the mph being indicative of my HP numbers which should be around 520-540 RWHP with my mods. The trap speed is more like that of a car producing about 300RWHP.

So now after data logging the car I will send the results to Justin for a look. However, if it was a detrimental tune issue Im pretty sure I'd be throwing codes. I have not thrown one code. This leads me to believe something else is to blame. I thought clutch? But the clutch is not slipping. The blower belt isn't slipping. My voltage is strong both at idle and under acceleration. So now I'm really just running out of possibilities. The cats being clogged is a possibility? I'll know after tomorrow. The car only has 7500 miles so it's not that. I just changed the plugs to the TR6's and the stock plugs looked good. No excessive meltdown, discoloration, etc.

So. Let's hear it. Anyone got any viable ideas?




whats happening with the cats tommorow???


David just so happens to know someone with a factory midpipe he can borrow for testing.

Dont know who this angelic like person could be to help with such a noble cause....

allhail


I see another 1am night. Call if you need some help.
avatar
Supersnake
2011 Challenge Winner!
2011 Challenge Winner!

Number of posts : 389
Age : 58
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2008 Shelby GT 500 Super Snake
First Name : Mike
Registration date : 2010-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Papi on 4/3/2011, 12:35 am

Go off road "H" pipes.
avatar
Papi
I'm Puerto rican Damn it!
I'm Puerto rican Damn it!

Number of posts : 2673
Age : 41
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2002 Ford Ranger Tremor & 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
First Name : Hector
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/3/2011, 12:46 am

They dont make an H pipe for the GT500 unfortunately. Although the new 2011s come factory with them. 07-09 come with X's

Correction: Looks like MRT makes one. Might be worth a try David if this is fact the issue.

_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Leonard 95 on 4/3/2011, 8:26 am

I sent a email back to Jawwad a config file for datalogging, same file Justin sent to me. Really need to know the spark (timing) and iat's, at least that will let us know if timing is being pulled in higher rpm's.
avatar
Leonard 95
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2892
Age : 42
Location : Bixby
Car Type : 08 GT500
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Leonard 95 on 4/3/2011, 8:28 am

The mrt one is just one you cut the x part out and install the h-pipe part, nothing to do with cats.
avatar
Leonard 95
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2892
Age : 42
Location : Bixby
Car Type : 08 GT500
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by BMMC1 on 4/3/2011, 10:43 am

This is a good one... Like mentioned above. I doubt the cats are clogged given the low miles. Spark plug (which was my problem) have been replaced. No codes, etc.

The problem is somewhere within the data log. Too bad we didn't data log at the track on Friday.

_________________


2011 GT500...    NO BOAT ANCHORS!
Founder and Retired Janitor  of the *BOLD MOVES MUSTANG CLUB OF TULSA* FOR INFORMATION ON JOINING THE CLUB PLEASE SEND US AN E-MAIL boldmovestulsa@gmail.com
avatar
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Age : 51
Location : Tulsa
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Leonard 95 on 4/3/2011, 11:34 am

Really dyno would be the best bet right now, get er done!
avatar
Leonard 95
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2892
Age : 42
Location : Bixby
Car Type : 08 GT500
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Leonard 95 on 4/3/2011, 11:34 am

Really dyno would be the best bet right now, get er done!
avatar
Leonard 95
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2892
Age : 42
Location : Bixby
Car Type : 08 GT500
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by 03.sonicblue on 4/3/2011, 11:46 am

Double post again

_________________
03 Sonic Blue Cobra "Terminator". #2291 of 8394. Pulley, CAI, Magnaflows, x-cal. Yes it's fast and no you can't drive it


Best E.T. 12.15 @ 113


avatar
03.sonicblue
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 5734
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 03 Mustang Cobra
First Name : Jerry
Registration date : 2008-07-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by ARMORINE on 4/3/2011, 11:49 am

double post!!
avatar
ARMORINE
Paul's 2 Star Atta-Boy Award!
Paul's 2 Star Atta-Boy Award!

Number of posts : 3701
Age : 29
Location : Tulsa, Oklahoma
Car Type : Shelby GT
First Name : Jared
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Leonard 95 on 4/3/2011, 12:51 pm

double post ftw!
avatar
Leonard 95
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2892
Age : 42
Location : Bixby
Car Type : 08 GT500
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by BMMC1 on 4/3/2011, 1:08 pm

Double Post FTL!

_________________


2011 GT500...    NO BOAT ANCHORS!
Founder and Retired Janitor  of the *BOLD MOVES MUSTANG CLUB OF TULSA* FOR INFORMATION ON JOINING THE CLUB PLEASE SEND US AN E-MAIL boldmovestulsa@gmail.com
avatar
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Age : 51
Location : Tulsa
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by BMMC1 on 4/3/2011, 1:08 pm

Double Post FTL!

_________________


2011 GT500...    NO BOAT ANCHORS!
Founder and Retired Janitor  of the *BOLD MOVES MUSTANG CLUB OF TULSA* FOR INFORMATION ON JOINING THE CLUB PLEASE SEND US AN E-MAIL boldmovestulsa@gmail.com
avatar
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Age : 51
Location : Tulsa
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by ShelbyJosh'09 on 4/3/2011, 2:38 pm

Shelby10' wrote:They dont make an H pipe for the GT500 unfortunately. Although the new 2011s come factory with them. 07-09 come with X's

Correction: Looks like MRT makes one. Might be worth a try David if this is fact the issue.

I believe the 2008 GT500KR came with an H-Pipe out of the factory.
avatar
ShelbyJosh'09
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Number of posts : 195
Age : 38
Location : Tulsa,OK
Car Type : "Arrest Me Red" Shelby GT500
First Name : Joshua
Registration date : 2010-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by 07Shelby500 on 4/3/2011, 10:36 pm

Well, to eliminate some variables we removed the stock mid pipe today to see if the cats may be choked off. Very hard to tell so the factory mid pipe was converted to an off road unit. Lol

Car sounds good. Hard to tell if it made a difference in power. Made a couple spirited runs out in wagoner county after the modification and it felt strong. I'll need a retune for the removed cats, then most likely back to the track or to the dyno to look at the parameters. Still have a set of FRPP 373's sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

_________________
'07 Shelby GT500

avatar
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Age : 42
Location : Owasso Oklahoma
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/3/2011, 10:55 pm

ShelbyJosh'09 wrote:
Shelby10' wrote:They dont make an H pipe for the GT500 unfortunately. Although the new 2011s come factory with them. 07-09 come with X's

Correction: Looks like MRT makes one. Might be worth a try David if this is fact the issue.

I believe the 2008 GT500KR came with an H-Pipe out of the factory.

Sort of...it wasnt an actual one piece H pipe. They basically did what MRT is selling. They cut the factory X out and welded up an H. Shelby does that in house.

_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by 07Shelby500 on 4/4/2011, 7:01 pm

Anyone else want to see about scheduling some dyno time at vangs? I'm sure we can get a group deal.

Oh and just in case anyone is curious the IC pump is working fine.

_________________
'07 Shelby GT500

avatar
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Age : 42
Location : Owasso Oklahoma
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by ARMORINE on 4/4/2011, 9:37 pm

i might be up for it. id like tp compare numbers on a dyno jet to the dyno dynamics. would help me greatly in comparisons of my gains to others(right now i think im ahead of others in gains from comparable parts)
avatar
ARMORINE
Paul's 2 Star Atta-Boy Award!
Paul's 2 Star Atta-Boy Award!

Number of posts : 3701
Age : 29
Location : Tulsa, Oklahoma
Car Type : Shelby GT
First Name : Jared
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Guest on 4/4/2011, 9:46 pm

David, get us some info and pop out a new thread. I might be up for this also!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/4/2011, 11:39 pm

Id be down for a dyno day.

_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Shelby10' on 4/5/2011, 12:19 am

David I posted your issues on another forum and got some feedback.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9733

"No failsafes, no codes, right? Bad cat wouldn't do that and he'd had to have used some kinda badass gas to blow them up that quickly. Now that you've gutted them, does his tune have the downstream sensors turned off? If not, he'll be getting a check engine light soon. No biggie, but he needs to have them turned off and Justin's tunes do not have them off (generally). Has he checked:

All CAI connections, including the sleeve to throttle body....check the underside of the clamp
How much boost is he making? The factory gauge should be around 12psi at sea level
Does he have the MAS installed in the correct direction into the CAI? (It happens)
How do you know the clutch isn't slipping? Have you put it in 3rd and nailed it?
If all of the above are in line as they should be, pull the battery cable and let it sit for 30 minutes. Hook it back up. Re-load the tune (you don't need to go to stock first).

Start the car.

Let it idle for 1 minute. Turn on AC and let it idle 1 more minute. Turn off AC.

Take it out on the highway....4th gear, starting at 3000 rpm and nail it. If it doesn't show 12-13 psi, datalog it and send it off to Justin again.

Worst case scenario, throw on the stock airbox and tune and take it to the dealer. That really is the WORST case. You don't want to do this if you don't absolutely have to. They'll know it's modded because of the idler pulley even if you have the "stock look" upper.

Keep us informed. (My money is on the intake and if so, he's running way lean and needs to stop racing it til it's fixed. Go to a dyno and get a proper a/f.)

bj"


_________________
Sold, but not forgotten:
2010 Shelby GT500
2008 JSB Z06
avatar
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Age : 36
Location : Broken Arrow
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: David's GT500 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum