Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain?

4 posters

Go down

How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain?

Post by BASixxer 1/27/2011, 9:52 pm

Just a curiosity... my supercharger setup makes the engine 3" higher than the current setup, which unfortunately means the snout of the supercharger becomes about 1.5" too high for the stock hood. Some people cut their factory hoods and allow the snout to stick out just under the hood scoop (see pic). Other people just throw on a 2.5" cowl hood and call it a day. I don't particularly want to do either.

One option I have read about in other instances (never seen it personally) is lowering the engine. Many people do this in road racing to lower the center of gravity, but I was wondering if I could do it for hood clearance. What negative effect would this potentially have on the driveshaft and rear end? any?

Just got this new GT hood after my wreck, and while it could be neat to have the pulley sticking out, I don't know if I want to hack up a brand new hood. The system will easily fit under a Mach 1 hood, but finding one local is impossible, and you are looking at $1000 after shipping for a complete kit...

Opinions?
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Number of posts : 2813
Car Type : 01 Mustang
First Name : Lee
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.pushmodperformance.com/

Back to top Go down

How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty Re: How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain?

Post by Shelby10' 1/28/2011, 12:03 am

I say get a set of motor mounts that lower the motor enough to clear, then just adjust your pinion angle and call it a day.
Shelby10'
Shelby10'
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 3610
Car Type : 2010 Shelby GT500
First Name : Jarrod
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain? Empty Re: How far can you lower your motor before it begins to affect the drivetrain?

Post by BASixxer 1/28/2011, 8:28 am

Thats my though
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 1/28/2011, 9:02 am

The only thing I would consider is if your car is also going to be lowered. I don't think getting the pinion angle will be a problem with some adjustable control arms but your oil pan, transmission, and exhaust will be pretty low to the ground. Especially the exhaust. Just something to think about.
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 1/28/2011, 9:46 am

True. Just weighing my options
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by STLHRSE 1/28/2011, 1:39 pm

Just take the same approach they do when people put a big block in a fox body or something. They put spacers in between the k member and frame, to effectively raise the body up from the motor. Then just lower the spring height some to compensate.

http://www.bigblockfox.com/
STLHRSE
STLHRSE
BMMC Enthusiast
BMMC Enthusiast

Number of posts : 108
Car Type : 2002 Mustang GT
First Name : Doug
Registration date : 2010-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by BASixxer 1/28/2011, 4:08 pm

Think ill lower the car and then check my clearance...
BASixxer
BASixxer
BMMC Elite Post Pig
BMMC Elite Post Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down