Bold Moves Mustang Club of Tulsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» For Sale: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
Audio upgrade??? Empty8/18/2015, 3:30 pm by coolhandluke

» Upholsetry work - black door panel
Audio upgrade??? Empty6/16/2015, 10:20 pm by mystang2007

» 347CI Dart Iron Eagle complete engine for sale, drop in and go fast!
Audio upgrade??? Empty6/25/2014, 6:07 pm by ruger311

» 7 Quarts AMSOIL Synthetic, AMSOIL Filter, Stock Brake Pads, Misc items
Audio upgrade??? Empty4/11/2014, 1:51 pm by Corepuncher

» shelbyfest?
Audio upgrade??? Empty4/9/2014, 2:37 am by Vandy9303

» tko 600 Swap 1965 mustang
Audio upgrade??? Empty4/2/2014, 12:18 pm by tulsadrags

» WTB five or six speed transmission
Audio upgrade??? Empty3/21/2014, 10:06 am by tulsadrags

» 03 cobra chrome wheels and new tires asking 600.00
Audio upgrade??? Empty3/17/2014, 9:14 am by tulsadrags

» spring cruise
Audio upgrade??? Empty12/21/2013, 10:06 pm by Captain Chaos

» BMMC GT/CS Registry
Audio upgrade??? Empty11/26/2013, 11:00 pm by gcmustanglx

Poll
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Sponsors

Audio upgrade???

5 posters

Go down

Audio upgrade??? Empty Audio upgrade???

Post by SaleenStang 7/8/2008, 11:55 pm

Hey guys, I am thinking about upgrading from Ford's state-of-the-art baby Shaker system but not sure exactly what I want. Does anyone have any pics/suggestions/ideas that I can ponder on?
SaleenStang
SaleenStang
BMMC Junkie

Number of posts : 605
Car Type : '06 Saleen Mustang S281
First Name : Casi (KC)
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Audio upgrade??? Empty Re: Audio upgrade???

Post by BMMC1 7/9/2008, 7:13 am

Check out the Pioneer Avic systems. A few of us have bought them and really like them. For the price you can't go wrong. GPS, DVD, Sat Radio, etc.. thumbsup
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 13771
Car Type : 2011 Shelby GT500
First Name : Paul The DILF
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by SaleenStang 7/9/2008, 1:54 pm

Sounds kewl. Just curious, how much $$$? Where is the best place to purchase from?
SaleenStang
SaleenStang
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/9/2008, 3:01 pm

The AVIC units run $700 all the way to $2100 depending on which one you buy. Most of us either bought ours on ebay or through Crutchfield. Some were installed professional and some installed them by themselves. The new AVIC F series looks to be pretty cool. I have the Z1 and Paul has the D3. I am thinking about the F series for my truck.

Back to top Go down

Post by BMMC1 7/9/2008, 3:32 pm

If you go through ebay... becareful of the refurbished ones...
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/9/2008, 4:04 pm

True that...make sure it states it is brand new. Got mine on ebay when they first came out so I didn't have this problem but be careful!

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 7/9/2008, 4:17 pm

Might as well hold off a bit if you want any Pioneer AVIC-F series - they were released almost a month ago but Pioneer has stopped all shipments of them while they diagnose several problems users have discovered in the early units. Pioneer has promised firmware and/or software updates to all units before they begin shipping again, but last estimate is they won't resume shipments until end of August. (I've had my F90BT on order for about a month now.) Also note that *no* eBay seller is an authorized Pioneer dealer, so if you do buy off of eBay you better purchase from a seller who warranties the unit themselves because you'll get no warranty coverage direct from Pioneer.
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Number of posts : 2258
Car Type : Jeep. That's right, I said Jeep. Deal with it.
First Name : David
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BMMC1 7/9/2008, 5:04 pm

Good point David.
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SaleenStang 7/9/2008, 11:46 pm

I have checked out the Avic-F90BT.....oh my!!!! drool I am hooked....but WoWsers, I am gonna have to get a side job to afford it....lolol.
SaleenStang
SaleenStang
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaleenStang 7/21/2008, 7:04 pm

Hey guys, need your opinion. I have actually been looking at a Kenwood DNX8120. Has anyone heard anything bad about this unit?
SaleenStang
SaleenStang
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by BMMC1 7/21/2008, 9:24 pm

Have not heard anything about it. However, when I was shopping the Avics won the bang for the buck or should I say features for the buck contest hands down.
BMMC1
BMMC1
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 7/21/2008, 9:24 pm

I don't know anything at all about the Kenwoods - having installed 6 or 7 of them over the years, I'm a Pioneer fanboy. Speaking of which, Pioneer just today announced the much-anticipated update for the AVIC F series: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Navigation/Notice+of+Free+Firmware+Update+for+AVIC+F-Series

Hopefully now I'll receive my F90BT soon...it's been paid for since June.
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/22/2008, 1:22 am

I love my Pioneer AVIC-D3!!!! Sorry Im a fan as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/18/2008, 6:29 pm

Any more news on this Casi? Did you find something you liked?

Back to top Go down

Audio upgrade??? Empty DNX8120

Post by KevinGT 8/24/2008, 11:51 pm

Hello,

I would recommend the DNX8120 hands down for a head unit. I actually waited 3 months for the release of the Avic-F series but there are way to many bugs in the current offering. Check out Avic411.com for a list of issues but it appears to be a lemon. I have heard good things about the Pioneer head units but make sure that the unit doesnt require the Nav dvd's to be in the drive to use the nav unit. That stinks because you have lost your drive on long trips. Not good

DNX8120 has about everything you could ask for. Comes with bluetooth and Microphone for great hands free tallking. Turns off the music and allows you to pick up the call or divert it. Touch Screen is fast and flawless. Works with IPOD video (5th Gen) so I download the movies to the ipod and watch them on long trips. (well the kids watch it). Blackberry Curve syncs up perfectly and surprised me a couple of times. I forgot I had my phone and the music muted and the call popped up and I was impressed. Loaded all 300 contacts from my phone book. I have a Boyo backup camera and it works like a champ. I once hit my lawn mower backing out of the garage because of the big ass cervini fin on the trunk so bought this camera and the view pops up on the screen when put in reverse. I have loaded a mustang splash screen on the boot up which looks pretty good. Quick boot up time at about 20 seconds. The only negative I have found is that video doesnt work with Ipod touch but that was Microsofts fault not Kenwood.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Number of posts : 364
Car Type : Mustang GT
First Name : Kevin
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/25/2008, 12:06 am

Wow thanks for the info Kevin!! and Welcome to BMMC!! When you get a chance...introduce yourself in the Intro Thread and let us know who you are and a little info on your ride :) again great info on the headunit

Back to top Go down

Post by Metric7 8/25/2008, 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum, KevinGT! Now, about you hatin' on the Pioneer F-series....

Most of the bugs present upon initial release of this unit have been resolved by Pioneer's update. (See my earlier post in this thread which contains a direct link to it.) The remaining bugs have already been figured out by the intrepid folks over at www.avic411.com - such as green routing boxes remaining on the map screen with no route underway, and some minor issues with the contacts kept in the AVIC's database. They've even figured out how to boot the system into Windows CE mode, which gives you full control over the system progamming and executables! Using that route, I've already changed my font colors to be more legible and figured out how to manually change my contacts database (using SQLite) to display my contacts how I want them and then upload the revised database direct into my F90. Also, your comment about having to have a nav DVD in the drive with Pioneer units means you've lost the use of the DVD drive on long trips is not even close to accurate - on the D3, as soon as you enter a route the nav stores the entire trip in memory - thus, you can remove the nav DVD and use the drive for CDs; movies; whatever while en route. On the F-series that's a moot point because all mapping data is stored internally on a flash drive, thus the DVD/CD drive is open at all times. And, I'm not disagreeing at all about your comments on the DNX8120 - I've never owned one of those, but I imagine it's a very good unit. For almost twice the price of an F-series it better be. thumbsup
Metric7
Metric7
BMMC Veteran Member
BMMC Veteran Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinGT 8/25/2008, 11:30 am

I bought my DNX8120 on Ebay brand new for $1,045.00 and am pretty happy with it. Every option that the radio has is a push button away and it is shocking that all the funtionality plays well together. The DVD player is the least option I use. I went out and bought a IPOD just to hold music and movies so the DVD is not really needed.

If the Pioneer would have been out with a firmware 2 months ago I would have one installed. I do like to voice command funtionality but didnt want to wait any longer.

I did think of one other issue and that is I have yet to see a DNX8120 mounted flush in a 05-08 Mustang. I know that is not a big deal but it annoys me. I will be at the OKC Stampede car show if anyone wants to see a Kenwood first hand.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SaleenStang 8/25/2008, 8:22 pm

I did get the DNX8120 and love it!!! I looked at the Pioneer's but have always been more of a Kenwood fan. NOTHING against you Pioneer fans!!!
SaleenStang
SaleenStang
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaleenStang 8/25/2008, 8:27 pm

KevinGT wrote:Hello,

I would recommend the DNX8120 hands down for a head unit. I actually waited 3 months for the release of the Avic-F series but there are way to many bugs in the current offering. Check out Avic411.com for a list of issues but it appears to be a lemon. I have heard good things about the Pioneer head units but make sure that the unit doesnt require the Nav dvd's to be in the drive to use the nav unit. That stinks because you have lost your drive on long trips. Not good

DNX8120 has about everything you could ask for. Comes with bluetooth and Microphone for great hands free tallking. Turns off the music and allows you to pick up the call or divert it. Touch Screen is fast and flawless. Works with IPOD video (5th Gen) so I download the movies to the ipod and watch them on long trips. (well the kids watch it). Blackberry Curve syncs up perfectly and surprised me a couple of times. I forgot I had my phone and the music muted and the call popped up and I was impressed. Loaded all 300 contacts from my phone book. I have a Boyo backup camera and it works like a champ. I once hit my lawn mower backing out of the garage because of the big ass cervini fin on the trunk so bought this camera and the view pops up on the screen when put in reverse. I have loaded a mustang splash screen on the boot up which looks pretty good. Quick boot up time at about 20 seconds. The only negative I have found is that video doesnt work with Ipod touch but that was Microsofts fault not Kenwood.

Thank you for the info Kevin. I did not know anything about the Ipod Touch not working on the DNX8120. Hmmmm.....and I just bought an Ipod Touch for the very reason of it working with the head unit. The guys at Car Toys told me it would all work. I haven't been able to try it out due to the fact that I am still waiting on the Ipod video cable from them.
SaleenStang
SaleenStang
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 8/25/2008, 10:25 pm

Hey Casi, I think I saw you at Thunder Jam over the weekend? Was that you? Saturday afternoon? I wasn't sure or I would have said hello. Was there with Paul
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by SaleenStang 8/25/2008, 10:32 pm

Hey David, yep I was there! All hot and sweaty...lol. I had a blast! Drank plenty of that 3 point beer...ughhhh
SaleenStang
SaleenStang
BMMC Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by 07Shelby500 8/25/2008, 10:34 pm

Gotta love the Nitro cars!
07Shelby500
07Shelby500
BMMC Board Member
BMMC Board Member

Number of posts : 9044
Car Type : The thing which must not be spoken of
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Audio upgrade??? Empty Ipod Touch

Post by KevinGT 8/25/2008, 11:05 pm

This is what is noted on the Crutchfield website.

Note: Currently this interface does not support video
playback for the iPod touch. The unit will support audio from the iPod
touch. the iPhone does not support video playback.

I went out and bought the cheapest Ipod video I could find and it was 30 gig video for $80.00 on Ebay. It was scratched up but since it is mounted inside/underneath the console I dont mind. I have bought about 15 movies from ZML.com for the ipod so I am pretty well set up.
KevinGT
KevinGT
BMMC Regular
BMMC Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/26/2008, 12:15 am

hmmm I wonder how to get the Ipod or Iphone video to work with my AVIC D3? Anyone know if I can or does it not work with it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down